PURE LOVE

PURE LOVE
Holding my baby girl

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oh tests and games... at 27 weeks!

Tests you ask?

Well that would be the wonderful GLUCOSE test that is required during the 26-28th week of pregnancy! You know, the horror stories about how you have to fast....drink some nasty juice...and get blood drawn? All to check and see if you have this Gestational Diabetes (which, obviously, is a form of diabetes that you only contract while pregnant).

Apparently if you do test positive for it on the first test, then you have to go back for a THREE HOUR TEST (not a three hour tour, a three hour TEST) to determine 100% that you have it. And then after that? You have to go see a special dietitian and follow this strict diet til the end of your pregnancy. And then from there on, I'm not sure what happens...

So Monday, I took a half day at work and left to go take this test. I was under the impression that we were having a sonogram done that day as well, but was sadly mistaken somehow.

Did I have to fast? Nope... not before hand I didn't. So I just ate 2 hard boiled egg and a low fat string cheese... just so I could have some protein in me, in case I did start feeling weak.

Billy and I sit in the doctor's office for a couple minutes, and then they call my name. They hand me this orange colored juice that is maybe 12 ounces? Not sure.

"You have 5 minutes to drink this down".



The one thing that came to my mind was "hmmm... drink it quick, and then what? I am pregnant and I'm gonna need to pee, that's for sure." I was under the impression that I'd have to wait like 45 minutes after drinking it, but THANK GOD... I didn't have to wait! (tmi, i know).

We go in the doc's office, and he's wonderful as usual. Answers all our billions of questions that we typically have, and lets me know whats gonna happen in my next appt.

OMG! I FORGOT THE MOST EXCITING PART OF THIS WHOLE EXPERIENCE! (Besides hearing our little girls heartbeat :)...

I DIDN'T GAIN ANY WEIGHT THIS MONTH! Amazing. Seriously, the doc knows what he's talking about when he says "you need to walk, it will slow down the weight gain". No duh, right? IT WORKS!



Anyway, so after we leave the office, we go down to another office in the building, and I just sit and wait til 12:09. That approximately 25 minutes. I'm starting to feel a little bit woozy... I normally eat lunch everyday at 11, and so my body wasn't used to this waiting game.

We head back there, and just like every other time I have blood taken, I announce "I'm not good with needles, and they make me nervous, and I get dizzy".



They always seem to look at me like "you need to suck it up", but I just figure that I should give them a friendly warning and let them know what they are dealing with :)

He was a good little blood taking technician. He didn't hurt me, and I didn't pass out. Good job blood tech!

I get a call 24 hours later, "You passed the glucose test, let us know if you have any questions".

SUCCESS!


WOOHOO!!!!! Thank GOD! I was a tiny bit nervous about it. My mom had gestational diabetes with my sister, and we have a history of diabetes in the family anyway.

Sooooo, there's the "tests" part of this post.

Now the games part? Well my little girl wanted to play a game with me today, and I'm sure I looked like a fool while I was sitting at my desk at work.

I push my stomach a couple times this afternoon, just to see where she was at, and what do I get?

Kick..Kick...Kick...

So I push it again. In the same spot.

Kick Kick Kick!

I did this for a good 7 minutes, and each time, she would kick. She would only kick when I pushed or poked on my stomach, and it was precious!

So there I am, sitting at work, looking down at my stomach, pushing along, and waiting for a little kick to pop up on my belly. It made my day.


(wouldn't it be cool if that were a real picture? i don't think it is).

ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS.

Thank you, Kyli B, for taking a little time to play some games with me. I look forward to playing with you more often in the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment